History of Lodge St Servanus - Part 2
1990 – 2015
It has been a pleasure to follow in the footsteps of the late Bro. Gordon N.S. Neave by updating his Historical Sketch cataloguing the history of the first one hundred years of Lodge St Servanus.
My aim quite simply was to build on Gordon’s solid foundation by adopting his format and applying it to the last quarter of a century.
We are both heavily indebted to the long line of Lodge Secretaries who have recorded the history of this Lodge since our charter was granted by the Grand Lodge of Scotland on the sixth day of February 1890 – without their industry our labours would surely have been in vain.
James G. White P.M. 312
H.M. Lodge St Servanus 771
It is with great pleasure and humility as Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master that I accept your cordial invitation to write a short foreword on this landmark occasion of the one hundred and twenty fifth anniversary of Lodge St Servanus 771.
This is a time of great celebrations and thanksgiving for the tremendous achievements of all of your predecessors, whose commitment and dedication all those years ago allows us to honour and respect their zeal and determination to consecrate a Masonic Lodge here in the Hillfoots area of our province.
In this extraordinary technological age of mobile phones, Twitter and Facebook, the trials and tribulations encountered in those early days by these Brethren has to be greatly admired and appreciated as this permits us, in your special anniversary year, to remember with gratitude their foresight and ingenuity.
The Brethren here in Alva laid a strong foundation and left a glorious heritage for us to follow and may the present and future generations of Lodge St Servanus maintain the exemplary work begun in 1890 and we trust that Freemasonry will continue to be practiced in this Lodge for another 125 years and beyond.
May I thank Brother James G. White Past Master of Lodge Bannockburn Bruce and Thistle No. 312 and Honorary Member of this Lodge for his assiduity and patience in his researches into the heritage of Lodge St Servanus No. 771 whilst compiling this historical booklet
Yours in Masonry
Andrew A. McKinnon P.M. 588
Provincial Grand Master of Stirlingshire & Honorary Member Lodge 771
(Photograph Courtesy of Bill Millar Photographers, Falkirk)
THE FIRST HUNDRED YEARS
A BRIEF SUMMMARY
To mark the Lodge’s Centenary Year in 1990 Bro. Gordon N.S. Neave produced a detailed booklet entitled ‘AN HISTORICAL SKETCH 1890-1990’ recording the Lodge’s History. For those who do not have a hard copy of Bro. Gordon’s book it can be downloaded or viewed in its entirety on the Lodge website.
This section of the updated history of the Lodge provides a brief summary of those first one hundred years before moving on to the twenty five years that have elapsed since our Centenary Year.
The Charter was granted by the Grand Lodge of Scotland on the sixth day of February 1890 and the Lodge was subsequently consecrated by the Provincial Grand Lodge of Stirlingshire on the fifth day of April 1890 within the premises of Mr. Perry, a local confectioner, this being our first Lodge Room.
Our two sponsor Lodges were The Lodge of Alloa No. 69 and Lodge Ancient Stirling No. 30 with the first Right Worshipful Master being Bro. Thomas Donaldson, a Past Master of The Lodge of Alloa No. 69.
Of the thirteen founder members ten were members of The Lodge of Alloa No. 69, two were members of Lodge Ancient Stirling No. 30 and one was a member of Lodge St John No. 16, Falkirk.
The first Regular meeting was held two days later on the seventh of April 1890 when the first candidates, four in number, were initiated into Freemasonry by the Right Worshipful Master and his Office-bearers. These candidates were John Minto, George Perry (in whose rooms the Lodge met), John Lodge and George Maltman.
The Lodge continued to meet in Bro. Perry’s rooms for two and a half years before more appropriate accommodation was found in Mr. Fulton’s premises in Queen Street. A local newspaper of the time reported of a “handsome Lodge Room and Ante Rooms, decorated and furnished in true masonic style”.
September 1912 saw the passing to the Grand Lodge above of our first Right Worshipful Master Bro. Thomas Donaldson who received a masonic funeral. Clearly having been held in great esteem, the Lodge minute book recorded that “his example and counsel did much to ensure that love and harmony characterised all of our proceedings”.
1915 saw the Lodge reach the milestone of twenty-five years but no ceremony appears to have been held to mark the occasion, presumably being deemed inappropriate with the country at war.
The post war years witnessed a great influx of candidates with four to seven candidates being the norm, as a result of which the Lodge embarked on a search for larger premises.
Our current premises, then known as the ‘Island Hall’, were purchased in 1920 and altered to suit our needs before being consecrated on the fourth day of December that year by the Provincial Grand Lodge of Stirlingshire. During that meeting the Provincial Grand Master Dr. E.E. Dyer was obligated as our first Honorary Member.
1930 witnessed the passing to the Grand Lodge above of two prominent Past Masters, the first being our last surviving founder member Bro. Alexander A. Baigrie and the latter being Bro. John D. Minto, our first candidate and number one on the Lodge Register.
1939 saw the outbreak of the Second World War and the Lodge premises being commandeered by the military as a result of which meetings between 1939 and 1945 were held in the Good Templar Hall.
1940 saw the Lodge reach the milestone of fifty years and with the country once again being at war, no ceremonial was held to mark the occasion.
In December 1945, shortly after the war had ended, the Lodge was once again able to meet within our own premises. As similarly witnessed at the end of the Great War applications for initiation were numerous and after sixteen applications had been received at one meeting there is a minute that reads “it was decided meantime to entertain no more applications”.
1946 sees the first mention of Lodge St John Carluke No. 187 visiting Lodge St Servanus and conferring the Master Mason Degree on seven brethren, a very special relationship that continues to this day, sixty-nine years on.
Then, as now, Hall Lets were an essential source of income and the years after the war were no exception with various parties, individuals, youth clubs and dance classes all contributing to the financial well-being of the Lodge.
The first Old Men’s Christmas Treat was organised in 1946 and continues to the present day.
The 771 Social Club for members of Lodge St Servanus, founded in 1946, was opened up to all members of the Craft in 1950.
In 1953, after much deliberation and discussion, the Lodge applied for and was granted a Club Licence.
In 1966, after a lapse of twenty years, a Burns Supper was organised by the Lodge and has continued every year up to the present day.
The Ladies Circle was formed in 1972 with their stated objective being “To raise funds for Lodge St Servanus” and have, over the years, raised many thousands of pounds for the Lodge.
February 1973 witnessed an informal visit from the Grand Master Mason of Scotland Bro. David Liddell Grainger, the first time that a Grand Master had visited Lodge St Servanus.
The Annual Sponsored Walk across the Ochil Hills, commenced in 1980, continues to the present day. During those first nine years leading up to the Lodge’s Centenary Year a conservative estimate was that some sixteen thousand pounds had been raised for charity.
In September 1989 the Lodge was invited to nominate a brother for the office of Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master of Stirlingshire and, on the motion of the Right Worshipful Master Bro. Eric A.G. Brown and seconded by Bro. Alfred S.F. McGhie P.M., the Lodge unanimously agreed that the name of Bro. Colin T. Wyse P.M. be submitted to the Grand Lodge of Scotland.
THE NINETEEN NINETIES
The nineteen-nineties was destined to be an historical decade, beginning with the Lodge celebrating its Centenary Year and ending with one millennium coming to a close and another beginning.
In between these events we witnessed a brother from Lodge St Servanus being installed as the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master of Stirlingshire, a healthy and thriving Lodge membership and a period of sustained charitable fund raising and inter-lodge visitations.
In the last few months of 1989 the Lodge played against Lodge St John Carluke and retained the Annual Bowling Trophy. This event has been much enjoyed by the members of both Lodges over many years and is still ongoing.
A cheque for the sum of three thousand and nine hundred pounds was presented to the Diabetic Unit at Stirling Royal Infirmary, these monies having been raised from the annual sponsored walk.
A shooting match between Lodge St Servanus and Lodge St John Carluke raised ninety pounds that was donated to the Centenary Fund whilst the Ladies Circle raised five hundred and forty pounds by organising a Jumble Sale and Coffee Morning.
The oldest member of the Lodge Bro. William Bean marked his centenary year a few months before the Lodge’s Centenary and was presented with a card, whisky and cigars to mark the occasion.
The room adjacent to the Temple on the top floor was previously used for small social functions prior to the Members Lounge being created at ground floor level. This room was refurbished in 1989 and has since become known as ‘The Centenary Lounge’. It is now used for committee meetings and is also where the Installing Board is formed during the Annual Installation.
On the fifth day of February 1990 (the eve of the Lodge’s Centenary) a letter was received from the Grand Lodge of Scotland confirming the appointment of Bro. Colin Terris Wyse, Past Master of Lodge St Servanus, as the next Provincial Grand Master of Stirlingshire. On behalf of all of the brethren the Right Worshipful Master Bro. David M. Eadie extended congratulations to Bro. Colin on his appointment.
On that same evening Bro. Archibald Harley, R.W.M. of Lodge Camelon 1456, led a deputation into Lodge St Servanus and conferred the Fellow Craft Degree on Mr. James Sneddon Milne, the final degree and final candidate of our first one hundred years.
To mark the exact occasion of our Centenary, lodge hospitality was dispensed at midnight and enjoyed by all present.
The Ladies Circle, always supportive of the Lodge, purchased and presented new Warden’s Columns and Deacon’s Doves to commemorate our Centenary Year.
On 18th February 1990 a Thanksgiving Service was held in Menstrie Parish Church with the Provincial Grand Master Bro. Robert Hutchison and a deputation from the Provincial Grand Lodge of Stirlingshire in attendance.
The deputation of Sister Lodges was led by Bro. Hamilton McGlone P.M. from the Lodge of Alloa No. 69, one of our sponsor Lodges. The service was conducted with great dignity and decorum by Bro. Rev. George Sherry with readings from the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master Bro. Robert Hutchison, Bro. Rev. George Gillan, Provincial Grand Chaplain, our own Right Worshipful Master Bro. David M. Eadie and Lodge Chaplain Bro. Thomas Richardson P.M.
In February 1990 a deputation of twelve brethren from Lodge St Servanus attended the Annual Installation of the Kelsterton Lodge 7681 (EC) in Connahs Quay, North Wales. This association, which began in 1985, was the result of a chance meeting in the Johnstone Arms Hotel between Bro. Alan McKenzie P.M. and a brother from Wales who was residing in the hotel whilst in the area on business.
Lodge Whifflett St John No. 963, another Lodge with whom we have a long standing friendship, conferred a degree in our Centenary Year. This connection began forty years ago in 1975 when our Right Worshipful Master Bro. Robert H. McCall struck up a friendship with Bro. William Cullen, the Right Worshipful Master of Lodge Whifflett St John.
It was with great sadness that the passing to the Grand Lodge above of Bro. Robert D. Wilson P.M. was announced to the brethren in March 1990. Bro. Wilson, our oldest living Past Master, had been installed into the Chair of King Solomon in 1955 and was very highly regarded in Masonic Circles and to this day remains the only member of St Servanus to have been awarded Honorary Grand Rank. This was bestowed upon Bro. Wilson by the Grand Master Mason Bro. Sir James McKay in November 1982.
Bro. Colin Terris Wyse P.M. was installed as Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master of Stirlingshire on Saturday 12th May 1990 in his Mother Lodge. Colin, along with his Commissioned Office-bearers, was installed by the Most Worshipful Grand Master Mason Bro. Sir Gregor MacGregor of MacGregor, Bart in a most dignified ceremonial that was enjoyed by all present.
Only two weeks later, on Saturday 26th May 1990, our new Provincial Grand Master was a very proud man as he undertook his first official duty which was to lead a deputation from Provincial Grand Lodge into Lodge St Servanus for the Centenary of his Mother Lodge, St Servanus No. 771.
The Re-dedication ceremonial was conducted by The Grand Lodge of Scotland, led by the Most Worshipful Grand Master Mason Bro. Sir Gregor MacGregor of MacGregor, Bart.
The Lodge was opened by the Right Worshipful Master Bro. David M. Eadie and the following deputations admitted into the Lodge:
21 Past Masters of Lodge St Servanus
20 members of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Stirlingshire headed by the R.W.P.G.M. Bro. Colin T. Wyse
25 visiting Right Worshipful Masters and Past Masters
17 members of the Grand Lodge of Scotland headed by the Most Worshipful Grand Master Mason Bro. Sir Gregor MacGregor of MacGregor, Bart.
A total of 229 Brethren were in attendance with the Re-dedication Ceremonial being relayed by closed circuit television to those seated in the lower lounge.
The ceremony was followed by a dinner that was thoroughly enjoyed by all in attendance with an excellent Toast to Lodge St Servanus being delivered by Bro. Stuart Gregory, Right Worshipful Master of Lodge St John No. 187, Carluke. The harmony was provided by Bros. Alastair Tindall, Ron Frew and John Barr.
In September 1990 Bro. David Little presented two collection plates to the lodge.
The social club continued to be very successful to such an extent that the numbers at the monthly dance had to be restricted to one hundred and forty.
In 1991 the lower bar was refurbished and decorated and in May of that year a Sponsored Walk and Sponsored Cycle Run was organised by the lodge.
Lodge St Servanus has always been charitable towards good causes in the community and in 1991 made the following contributions:
£300 Strathcarron Hospice
£300 Struan House
£300 Spina Bifida Association of Scotland
£250 Diabetic Association
In September 1992 it was decided to cease the sending out of Gift Parcels owing to financial pressures.
In 1993 the Middle Hall was refurbished at a cost of almost thirty five thousand pounds. This involved moving the stage from the corner to the middle of the hall, a new bar, carpeting, seating and decoration – quite a sizeable task.
The Lodge continued to be well attended and received large numbers of visiting brethren.
The Ladies Circle continued to be supportive of the lodge and celebrated their own 21st anniversary in 1993.
The Lodge’s oldest member Bro. William Bean, who had celebrated his 100th birthday during the Lodge’s Centenary Year, passed to the Grand Lodge above in October 1993 at the age of 104.
In 1994 the Lodge despatched a letter of congratulations to Mr. William Dryburgh, a resident of Alva, on his being awarded the MBE by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth.
In January 1994 Bro. Robert Beveridge P.M. was bestowed with the rank of Honorary Provincial Grand Treasurer by the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master Bro. Colin T. Wyse.
The 1994 Annual Charity Walk over the Ochil Hills raised the sum of one thousand five hundred pounds, this being donated to Cancer Research.
A ‘Masonic Follies’ concert was once again organised by the Lodge for the Ladies Circle and proved to be a great success. This event, which dates back to early 1972, consists of the Office-bearers taking part in sketches and impersonations, St Servanus’s version of Stars in their Eyes.
Although there have been many highlights over the years, the vision of Bro. Tom Adams P.M. riding into the hall on a motorcycle, dressed in motor-cycle leathers and with a set of horns attached to his helmet is one that will remain forever in the memory of those who were in attendance that evening.
To mark the bi-centenary of Lodge St John No. 187 in Carluke, a donation of two hundred pounds was gifted in order that Lodge St John could purchase three lesser lights.
As part of the ongoing fundraising events the Lodge organised its first ever Speakers Night, this proving a great success.
To commemorate his term as Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master of Stirlingshire the lodge commissioned a photograph of Bro. Colin T. Wyse P.M.
On 28 November 1994 five candidates were initiated into the Lodge, an event that we may never see again.
The gentlemen on this occasion were James Young Allan, James Currie, Daniel Francis Ferguson, Gordon Dewar and Albert William McNaughton Docherty.
In December 1994 the new Past Masters’ board was unveiled by Bro. Colin T. Wyse, Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master.
A donation of seven hundred and forty pounds was made to CHAS (The Children’s Hospice Association of Scotland).
In 1995 the Ladies Circle continued their support of the lodge and organised a very successful Valentines Dance.
In April 1995 Bro. Philip Maley P.M. was bestowed with the rank of Honorary Provincial Grand Architect by the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master Bro. Colin T. Wyse.
In his final duty as Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master, Bro. Colin T. Wyse headed a deputation into Lodge St Servanus to celebrate the 250th Anniversary of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Stirlingshire.
This ceremony was conducted by the Grand Master Mason Bro. The Lord Burton and was followed by a most enjoyable dinner and entertaining toast list.
To mark his retirement as Provincial Grand Master, the lodge presented a framed picture and silver tray to Bro. Colin, who had served the Province with great distinction throughout his five year commission.
The Lodge also conveyed a letter of appreciation to the retiring Provincial Grand Secretary Bro. Joseph Campbell, who was stepping down after having served five Provincial Grand Masters over a period of twenty five years.
A second Speakers Night was organised in 1995, this proving to be every bit as successful as the previous event.
A donation of two thousand four hundred pounds was made to CHAS (The Children’s Hospice Association of Scotland).
1996 witnessed the fiftieth year of association between Lodge St Servanus and Lodge St John No. 187, Carluke. To mark this occasion Bro. Colin T. Wyse P.M., on behalf of Lodge St Servanus, presented an inscribed plaque to Lodge St John.
The Ladies Circle’s ongoing activities continued to support the Lodge and during 1996 presented the Lodge with a cheque for the sum of two thousand pounds.
Another Masonic Follies night was once again organised on behalf of the Ladies Circle who had another tremendous evening of entertainment.
Among the Charities supported in 1996 were the Chernobyl Life Line and the Children’s Hospice Association of Scotland.
1997 saw the disbandment of the Ladies Circle after twenty five years of strenuous efforts to support the Lodge. Shortly thereafter the Lodge St Servanus 771 Ladies Social Club was formed.
In 1997 Bro. Robert Beveridge P.M was presented with a fifty year diploma and Bro. Colin T. Wyse with a Distinguished Service Diploma by the R.W.M. Bro. William Ferguson.
Among the Charities supported during 1997 were the Sick Kids Foundation in Edinburgh, the British Red Cross and the Royal National Mission for Deep Sea Fishermen.
Moving on to 1998 the Lodge received a visit from Bro. James McGhie P.M. of University Lodge No. 91 in Vancouver, Canada. Bro. McGhie was the blood brother of our own Past Master Bro. A.S.F. McGhie.
The Annual Provincial Grand Lodge Golf Tournament was won by Lodge St Servanus who were represented by Bros. Ian O’Connor P.M. and Angus Douglas.
During 1998 Bro. Wilfred Swarbrick and Bro. Colin T. Wyse P.M. were presented with fifty year diplomas by Bro. David A. Swan R.W.M.
In 1999, in recognition of their 175th Anniversary, the Lodge presented an inscribed Square and Compasses to Lodge Bannockburn Bruce & Thistle No. 312. These were utilised for the first time during the re-dedication ceremony and have been used continually ever since.
Lodge St Servanus 771 Ladies Social Club made a donation to the lodge of two thousand pounds.
During the 1990’s there were 178 meetings with 104 intrants initiated into Freemasonry.
2000 – 2009
The year 2000 was to prove an extremely busy year and opened with a special Reigning Masters meeting on January 8th organised by the seven ‘Wee County’ lodges in what would have been one of the first masonic lodge meetings to be held not just in the twenty first century but the third millennium.
The meeting was held in Lodge St Servanus with the candidate being Mr. Martin McGhie, the son of Bro. Freddie McGhie P.M.
The seven Lodges within the ‘Wee County’ of Clackmannanshire (Alloa No.69, St. John Tulliallan No.598, St. Servanus No.771, Ben Cleuch No.782, Craiginnan No.850, Clackmannan No.1303, and Ladywell No.1474) worked extremely hard over a period of two years in order to mark the new millennium by raising funds for three local Clackmannanshire charities, namely:
Struan House (Scottish Society for Autistic Children)
Crossroads Care (Home care for the elderly & disabled)
Lochies School (Children with learning difficulties)
The combined effort of these seven Lodges raised the sum of six thousand eight hundred and ten pounds with the cheques being presented in Lodge Clackmannan No.1303 by the principal organisers and committee members from each of the Lodges.
The main fund raising ventures were:
A ‘Wee County’ Reigning Master’s Degree and Dinner in January 2000
Individual lodge fundraising activities throughout the year
A Millennium Ball in Alloa Town Hall in October 2000
The sum of nine hundred pounds raised as a result of the annual sponsored walk was donated to SOAPA (Scottish Old Age Pensions Association).
Having served his term of five years as Immediate Past Provincial Grand Master the lodge presented Bro. Colin Terris Wyse P.M. with the regalia of a Past Provincial Grand Master.
In July 2000 in conjunction with Lodge Bannockburn Bruce & Thistle No. 312, a number of brethren visited Eola Lodge No. 207 in Orlando, Florida where they demonstrated an Entered Apprentice degree as worked within the Scottish Constitution.
Bro. A.S.F. McGhie P.M. was appointed as a Grand Steward at the Grand Lodge of Scotland.
Once again a very successful Speakers Night was held within the Lodge, this having turned into a regular fundraising since its inception in 1994.
The Annual Children’s’ Christmas Party has now been running for over twenty years and continues to be a great success.
In early 2001 it became apparent that there was a need for significant and ongoing maintenance within the building as it was showing its age. Repairs were required to the roof and substantial internal decoration was required.
The fire escape stairs, originally erected by Past Masters Bro. Colin T. Wyse and Robert D. Wilson, were also in need of repair.
Serious fundraising was required and various events were organised including a games night, a boxing night that was run in conjunction with Alloa Boxing Club and a Masonic Follies night for the ladies.
These events were very successful and all of the necessary works were carried out only for the lower hall to be flooded shortly thereafter and the works in this area having to be undertaken once again.
As we moved in to the year 2002 it was apparent that, as with the craft in general, we were experiencing a downturn in candidates.
On the other hand visitor numbers were being maintained with visitors from all over being received into Lodge St Servanus. In 2002 alone we received visitors from as far apart as Belfast, Lerwick, London, South Africa, Sydney and Shropshire.
An issue arose with a bulge being detected in the external wall. A Structural Engineer’s report was commissioned which recommended that a steel buttress be built against the wall to give it support.
A memorial stone was erected in Alva Cemetery at the unmarked grave of Bro. Alec MacPhail who had served the lodge as Tyler for a period of 42 years from 1901 to 1943.
In 2003 an obituary was read on behalf of Bro. Rev William Derek Scott who had affiliated to Lodge St Servanus in 1965 whilst Minister of Menstrie Parish Church.
Bro. Scott subsequently moved to Maud in Aberdeenshire where he continued his sojourn in Freemasonry with such zeal and commitment that he was installed as Senior Grand Chaplain in the Grand Lodge of Scotland in 1971 and 1972 and thereafter installed as Provincial Grand Master of Aberdeenshire East, an office that he held for five years from 1984 to 1989.
The Past Masters Association continued to work tirelessly on behalf of the lodge and presented new columns for the Right Worshipful Master, Senior Warden and Junior Warden along with new pedestals and batons for the wardens
In 2004 – 2005 a joint effort of all the lodges in Scotland raised a sum in excess of one hundred thousand pounds for the Grand Lodge Disaster Appeal for those affected by the tsunami that occurred on Boxing Day 2004.
In 2005 the Past Masters Association refurbished the Master’s and Wardens chairs, daises and Office-bearers jewels. The lodge sponsored ten new hymn books in Alva Parish Church.
Having been established in 1965, the Past Masters Association marked its fortieth year during 2005 and over the years has, among other things, financed the ongoing maintenance and refurbishment of the building and purchased new regalia for the Lodge’s Centenary year in 1990.
In 2005 Bro. Thomas Adams P.M. was conferred with Honorary Membership of Lodge St John Carluke No. 187 by the R.W.M. and members of Lodge St John.
The lodge donated the sum of two thousand three hundred and eighty pounds split equally between the British Heart Foundation and Crossroads Scotland.
In 2006 a farewell party was held for the Immediate Past Master Bro. Angus Douglas who was emigrating to Perth in Western Australia.
Bro. Thomas Adams P.M. was bestowed with the rank of Honorary Provincial Grand Director of Music by the Provincial Grand Master Bro. John McKenzie.
In March 2006 Lodge St John No. 187, Carluke, conferred the Master Masons degree in Lodge St Servanus to commemorate the 60th year of the Association between the two lodges.
In October of that year a suitably engraved trowel was presented to Lodge St John on a return visit to Carluke whilst Lodge 187 presented a crystal decanter and three engraved glasses to Lodge St Servanus.
In December the retiring Right Worshipful Master Bro. James Russell presented the Lodge with three engraved water jugs and glasses for the use of the Right Worshipful Master and Wardens.
In February 2007 the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master Bro. John McKenzie, on behalf of Provincial Grand Lodge, presented Bro. Colin T. Wyse P.M. with a Distinguished Service Diploma.
In 2007, in recognition of his contribution to Lodge St Servanus, Bro. R. Russell McKendrick was presented with a Distinguished Service Diploma.
In April of that year Honorary Membership of Lodge St Servanus was conferred upon Bro. John McKenzie, the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master and a fifty year diploma was presented to Bro. Charles Whitehead.
2008 saw the lodge hosting the Annual Provincial Grand Lodge Reigning Master’s Degree for the first time, the candidate being Mr. Peter Boyle.
Bro. Colin T. Wyse P.M. was presented with a sixty year diploma by the Right Worshipful Master Bro. Craig D. O’Connor.
In February 2009 Bro. R. Russell McKendrick was bestowed with the rank of Honorary Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies by the Provincial Grand Master Bro. John McKenzie.
In 2009 Bro. Ian G. O’Connor was installed as Right Worshipful Master by his father Bro. Ian O’Connor P.M. and blood brother Bro. Craig D. O’ Connor P.M., making them the fourth set of blood brothers to hold the office of R.W.M., the others being Bros. William and Ian Hall, Robert and Roderick McCall and James and Robert Beveridge.
Once again the charitable side of the lodge was to the fore with donations in excess of two thousand four hundred being made to the National Autistic Society, the Scottish Spina Bifida Society and Lochies School in Sauchie.
In 2009 brother Henry W. Purser P.M. was presented with his fifty year diploma and in December the Right Worshipful Master congratulated Bro. Colin T. Wyse P.M. on the occasion of his eightieth birthday.
During the period 2000-2009 there were 177 meetings with 34 intrants initiated into Freemasonry.
2010 – 2015
Having shown signs of distress for many years it was decided that a structural engineer be commissioned to carry out a survey on the west gable wall. Glass ‘tell-tales’ were affixed and monitored, the result being that significant movement was detected over a period of several months.
As a result of these findings, a scheme was subsequently drawn up to support the gable using a structural steel frame. This was designed in such a manner that it could be utilized to form an extension at some future point in time.
In June 2010 the Right Worshipful Master Bro. Ian G. O’Connor was invited, on behalf of the daughter lodges in the province, to respond to the toast “The Daughter Lodges” at the installation of Bro. Andrew A. McKinnon as Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master.
Bro. O’Connor excelled to such an extent that he was invited to reply to the same toast at the installation of the Most Worshipful Grand Master Mason of the Grand Lodge of Scotland Bro. Charles Woolridge Gordon in November of that year. Once again Bro. Ian rose to the occasion and in so doing reflected great honour not only upon himself, but also upon his Mother Lodge St Servanus No. 771.
For the first time in living memory the Annual Installation scheduled for 11th December 2010 was cancelled owing to inclement weather. The ongoing forecast was in fact so severe that the next Regular Meeting, Old Men’s’ Christmas Treat and Children’s’ Christmas Party were also cancelled.
In 2012 Lodge St Servanus presented an engraved keystone to Lodge St John Carluke No. 187 to mark the centenary of the Newlands Masonic Temple.
In memory of the late Bro. David A. Swan P.M., the Past Masters Association presented an engraved minute book to the Grand Princess Cruise Ship (Princess Cruise Line) to use during their Masonic gatherings on the high seas. Bro. David and his wife Margaret were very enthusiastic cruisers and enjoyed their time on the Grand Princess.
During the Annual visit to Lodge St John Carluke No. 187 in 2012, our Right Worshipful Master Bro. Gordon W. Guthrie was conferred with Honorary Membership by the brethren of that Lodge.
In 2013 Bro. Ian O’Connor P.M. was bestowed with the rank of Honorary Provincial Grand Lodge Chaplain by the Provincial Grand Master Bro. Andrew A. McKinnon.
A new coffin for use in the Master Mason Degree was presented to the lodge by Hillview Funeral Parlour in Sauchie. This was arranged by Bro. Rev George Sherry and dedicated by R. Russell McKendrick P.M.
A fundraising cabaret event was held in aid of Rachel House (Children’s Hospice Association for Scotland) that raised the sum of one thousand pounds.
In both 2012 and 2013 the Past Masters Association organised a sponsored relay walk around the seven Lodge’s in the Wee County and raised the sum of two thousand and five hundred pounds.
In November 2013 Bro. Colin T. Wyse P.M. was presented with a sixty-five year diploma by the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master Bro. Andrew A. McKinnon. Bro. Wyse then had the privilege of bestowing Honorary Membership of Lodge St Servanus upon the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master.
As we moved into 2014 it was noticeable that not only were we finding the supply of candidates for Freemasonry being rather thin on the ground, of greater concern was the lack of active Office-bearers. Hopefully this is something that will correct itself.
Charitable donations are still very much to the fore with a presentation of three thousand pounds made to Scottish Spina Bifida Society in August 2014.
In December 2014 Bro. Gordon W. Guthrie completed his fourth year as Right Worshipful Master having first been installed in 2002 and again in 2010, 2011 and 2013. The Lodge is indebted to Bro. Gordon who is only the fifth brother in the history of the Lodge to serve four years as Master.
As we approach the end of this chapter in the Lodge’s history it is noticeable that the role of the Past Masters Association, led by our current President Bro. Douglas Buck P.M., is becoming increasingly important to the welfare of the Lodge.
The Association is constantly busy organising fund raising activities such as ceilidh nights, speaker nights, live band events, games nights and ladies nights with tribute acts such as ‘Elvis’ and ‘Take That’.
During the course of 2014 the brethren of the Lodge made many decisions regarding the forthcoming 125th Anniversary in 2015, the foremost of these being to request Bro. Colin T. Wyse P.M. to consider once again presiding over the brethren as R.W.M. during this special year.
After much consideration and soul searching Colin graciously accepted and, at the grand age of eight five, was installed into office as our Right Worshipful Master on 13th December 2014, his Installing Masters being Bros. Thomas S. Paterson P.M., R. Russell McKendrick P.M. and Andrew A. McKinnon P.M. Lodge Callendar No. 588 and our reigning Provincial Grand Master.
The Lodge owes a debt of gratitude to many of our members for their hard work and commitment over the years. Asides from a few short breaks since 1982 Bro. Douglas H. Buck P.M. has served as Secretary for the best part of thirty years, an office that is extremely time consuming.
Restarted in 1966 after a break of twenty-one years, the Annual Burns Supper continues to be an important event in our calendar and will reach the milestone of fifty consecutive years in 2016. With the exception of a five year gap when he moved to Ayrshire, Bro. Douglas Buck P.M. has also organised the Annual Burns Supper since 1973, in total thirty six Burns Suppers with the 2015 event already organised.
Refurbishment and maintenance works are constantly ongoing and the lodge is heavily indebted to all who have given of their time and skills.
Particular thanks are due to Bros. R. Russell McKendrick P.M., Tom Adams P.M. and Bill Smith who have all been heavily involved in redecorating works throughout the premises over many years.
The Old Men’s Christmas Treat, established shortly after the end of the Second World War, continues to prove a great success with Bro. R. Russell McKendrick P.M. now having compered as Master of Ceremonies since 1974, a total of forty years, in recognition of which he was presented with a token of appreciation by the Lodge during the Old Men’s Treat in December 2014.
Another long standing event, having begun in the early 1980’s, is the Annual Academy Awards Night, held after the regular meeting on the first Monday in December. Organised and presented by Bros. R. Russell McKendrick P.M. and Thomas S. Paterson P.M. an evening of fun and laughter is guaranteed, providing a great ending to the Masonic Year.
During the period 2010-2014 there were 80 meetings with 14 intrants initiated into Freemasonry.
Bro. Colin Terris Wyse P.M.
Right Worshipful Master 2015 – 125th Anniversary Year
R.W.M. & Installing Masters
Thomas S. Paterson P.M. Colin T. Wyse R.W.M. Andrew A. McKinnon R.W.P.G.M. R. Russell McKendrick P.M.
Office-bearers & Past Masters of Lodge St Servanus 2014-2015
James Russel P.M., J. Gibson, Thomas S. Paterson P.M., Martin Taylor, Kevin N. McCallum P.M.
Ian G. O’Connor P.M., Ian O’Connor P.M., R.Russell McKendrick P.M., Alan Wyse P.M., Robert Mitchell P.M. William Smith, Euan McPherson
Thomas Adams P.M., Joseph Kerr, Gordon W. Guthrie
Colin T. Wyse P.M. & R.W.M., Douglas Buck P.M., William Wilson P.M., George Dewar P.M.
Past Masters of Lodge St Servanus 2015
Thomas Adams, Kevin McCallum, Thomas S. Paterson, Ian G. O‘Connor, Ian O’Connor, Alan Wyse, Robert Mitchell
James Russell, R. Russell McKendrick, Gordon W Guthrie, Colin T. Wyse RWM, Douglas Buck, William Wilson, George Dewar